Pages

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Vendelis


I thought the scant information I could find on PVC Modracek was heartbreaking until I did some research before buying a new sketch.

There are no writeups about Pvt. John A. Vendelis and I can't even find his date of birth. I know he was someone's baby boy, and perhaps a naughty two year old. He was a teen whose rebellious nature may have spurred him to join the 101st. Or, perhaps he was in his twenties.

Regardless, I do know he left Maryland and made his way to Fort Benning, Georgia to join the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment. He passed training, shipped out with the 506th to England and finally, jumped from his 'stick' on D-Day.

He died that day.

His entire life is summed up in an entry on wwiimemorial.com:

John A. Vendelis
ID: 33066904
Entered the Service From: Maryland
Rank: Private

Service: U.S. Army, 506th Parachute Infantry Regt, 101st Airborne Division
Died: Tuesday, June 06, 1944

Buried at: Normandy American Cemetery
Location: Colleville-sur-Mer, France
Plot: C Row: 16 Grave: 46

Awards: Purple Heart


Thank you sir.

(sketch by Ingrid Hardy)

No comments:

Post a Comment